Friday, April 1, 2011

Don't Ever Leave Me, Tapatio Doritos


If you know me, you know I am THE snack master.

One top of that list, are nacho cheese Doritos with Tapatio all over them. And Frito-Lay has recently released both in a bag for me, no Tapatio bottle required now.

I was excited, to say the least.

______________________________________________________

Monday, March 22, 2011 9:46 PM

To Whom It May Concern:

Being taken back to an old place that contains fond memories is priceless, and when it does happen, you never forget it.

When I opened up my 99-cent bag of Tapatio-flavored Nacho Cheese Doritos I was a bit skeptical. I squirted lemon into the bag and shook it around. I waited a few seconds, then took a whiff of the result.

I was immediately taken to the park I grew up in... the palatero man selling popsicles... laughing with my cousins with chile and lemon all over our finger tips. The soccer grass stains on our clothes... the shadow boxing with our parents.

These chips took me there... whomever or whoever came up with the concept for these delights needs to get a raise. I commend you for taking this step.

I remember the flaming-hot doritos, those were amazing as well... not on the level of these new chips... but don't make the same mistake and make these disappear. Instead of dessert, I now eat these chips in bed.

You know what it's like to have crumbs in bed when you wake up? Yes, you guessed it, I get pissed that those little pieces of heaven didn't make it into my mouth.

Now, please, please! Make these chips available in a bigger bag size. The 99-cent bags do NOT do these chips justice. Keeping these chips locked up in their 99-cent state would be like keeping Jack Kerouac off the road.

Too much passion and love to be left out of people's possession.

Please make my fears disappear. As I fear these chips will disappear and that they won't be available in a bigger size.

Take me back to the park, over and over again. I want to be that kid again: with tapatio, nacho cheese doritos and lemon on my fingers. It will even force me to take my laundry back to my Mama... only she can get those chile/lemon stains off my clothes.

Sincerely,
Jon Castillo
______________________________________________________

A Message from Frito-Lay Consumer Relations - RE: Doritos, Reference #011405520A
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:15 PM
From: "noreply@fritolay.com"
To: castillo_jon@yahoo.com

Hi Jon,

Thank you so much for sharing such nice comments about Doritos Tapatio . It's always a pleasure to hear from our consumers, especially when you tell us how much you enjoy our snacks. Fans like you keep us energized to provide you with the highest quality, best-tasting snacks on the market.

Again, we appreciate you writing to us and hope you continue to enjoy great-tasting snacks from Frito-Lay.

Best regards,

Janet
Frito-Lay Consumer Relations
011405520A
______________________________________________________

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:07 PM

To Whom It May Concern:
I can understand the use of your canned statements. My company uses them too... except I find them rather rude and misleading. For instance, the support lady that uses them here sent the canned statement to something totally unrelated to the comment. This would have been fine if it was cleared up, but the email our support lady sent it from was a "no reply" similar to what you sent me. Instead, I was called and had to explain the canned statement as well as go through the issue the customer had. This is double work.

While I appreciate you responding, I think the best way to do this would respond as well as include the answers to my questions. Or at least point me in the right direction.

Oh no, see, I've done double work now and will be causing a third level. 1. Me writing again to get my questions answered. 2. Your "customer relations" team reading another one of my emails. 3. Customer relations panicking and trying to find a canned statement to respond to this inquiry.
  
Please answer my question through email, as I had to ship my phone to Mexico for my cousin to use.

Thank you,
Jon
______________________________________________________

A Message from Frito-Lay Consumer Relations - RE: Doritos, Reference #011411279A
Friday, March 25, 2011 9:15 AM
From: "noreply@fritolay.com"
To: castillo_jon@yahoo.com

Hi Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us again and I truly apologize for unanswered questions in your previous e-mal. I'm sorry that Doritos Tapatio is only available in 7-5/8 oz package and we can not guarantee that the product will be sold in larger bags. The product is only available in the West and so far no plans to expand it other areas. We can not guarantee how long the product will be available. However, I'm advising our sales and marketing teams of your interest in this product.

When you take into account the tremendous variety of consumer preferences, not every product does equally well and may not be available everywhere.

Thanks again for sharing your comments with us. I hope that one of our other snacks will satisfy your taste buds and be sure to watch for our exciting new future flavor introductions.

Best regards,

Janet
Frito-Lay Consumer Relations
011411279A
______________________________________________________

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:58 PM

*Please forward to Janet 011411279A*
Thanks for getting back to me regarding the availability of these chips, including the bag size and how long they will be for sale.

It's okay that you didn't answer my question the first time. I ask my colleagues questions at least four times before I get a response.

Any way, can you define what "West" is? I went to the 7-11 near my work in Newport Beach, CA but couldn't locate them. Maybe you can send me the latest sales for all the "West" stores? That way I know what stores carry them, and how far East I can go in the West before I get scared of not having my chips.

And thank you so much for passing this information onto sales and marketing. I think you should also bring up that if pushed east it could replace the taco. I know a lot of people out east that complain about the lack of a good taco. This will easily appease that audience.

I can't emphasize this enough: please let me know how I can help push sales and marketing to keep this chip alive, and make it available in a bigger size. Please provide contact information for both and I will work with them to push this chip nationwide (and at no charge, well, maybe some tapatio doritos *smiley-face wink*).

I have a team ready to push this forward in the east as fast as possible. My father-in-law owns a screen printing business and I am ready to start pressing shirts to start the "keep the tapatio doritos alive campaign."

Along with my team, I have a recipe book we can push as well. Starting with my favorite delight: tapatio dorito breaded chicken.

Thanks again Janet, and please let me know about all this.

Stay Crunchy,
Jon

P.S. Maybe you can give me your @fritolay.com email address so I don't have to keep going to the contact section of FritoLay.com *smiley face wink with a halo above it*
______________________________________________________

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:38 PM

(Editor's note: at this point I hadn't received a response back, so I resent the previous message)

I am not sure if you got my last email, so I am sending this again...
[Insert contact from Friday]
______________________________________________________

A Message from Frito-Lay Consumer Relations - RE: Doritos, Reference #011419158A
Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:15 AM
From: "noreply@fritolay.com"
To: castillo_jon@yahoo.com

Hi Jon,

Thank you for writing to us. We are sorry you cannot locate the Doritos Tapatio chips in your area. This is a new item and distribution is forthcoming in some areas. Our sales numbers for all areas are confidential and only available to PepsiCo associates.

While we appreciate your interest in promoting this product, however, we're unable to accept unsolicited company assistance. We are already working with agencies that provide these types of services, and additional services are not needed at this time.

Thank you again for contacting Frito-Lay.

Best regards,

Kim
Frito-Lay Consumer Relations
011419158A
______________________________________________________

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:35 PM

Thank you for getting back to me regarding the location of the chips and promotion of them.

Regarding the sales figures, sorry, I didn't actually mean the numbers. But rather where they were sold. Can you just give me the stores they are available at? I normally don't go out on my lunch breaks, but this will give me motivation to take my allotted lunch time to retrieve these goods.

I tried to get my promotion team to do this but it's taking a rather long time. Just think about it like this, giving me the stores that have them will promote sales! Double win!

And no problem on the promotion acceptance. *wink* I wasn't actually looking for compensation. I can be the Banksy of Tapatio Doritos promotion. We will be an underground team called the "acceptance" (in a French accent) that will be pushing the product.

We will make the McDonald's McRib enthusiasts look like amateurs.

I actually will probably film this and make a documentary on it too... probably call it "Enter into the Liquor Store" and it will probably win an Oscar unlike the Banksy documentary.

Alright, I have to go... I have a meeting with the screen printer regarding shirts for this.

But let me know about those stores when you have a chance.

Crunchly Yours,
Jon
______________________________________________________

A Message from Frito-Lay Consumer Relations - RE: Doritos, Reference #011419976A
Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:15 PM
From: "noreply@fritolay.com"
To: castillo_jon@yahoo.com

Hi Jon,

Thank you so much for sharing such nice comments about Doritos Tapatio.

Please visit our website at www.fritolay.com and click on 'Where to Buy' (at the top of the page) to find out if a store near you carries this product.

Again, we appreciate you writing to us and hope you continue to enjoy great-tasting snacks from Frito-Lay.

Best regards,

Linda
Frito-Lay Consumer Relations
011419976A
______________________________________________________

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:36 PM

Doritos, Reference #011419976A

Thanks again - I will try the where to buy on the site. Can I export to an excel template from there?

And one more thing after that, what size of shirt does everyone wear in the offifce there? I plan to send you some shirts for the Tapatio Doritos promotion.

Keep the chip alive.

Thanks,
Jon
______________________________________________________

A Message from Frito-Lay Consumer Relations - RE: one of our products, Reference #011420420A
Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:15 PM
From: "noreply@fritolay.com"
To: castillo_jon@yahoo.com

Hi Jon,

The Frito-Lay website is the property of the marketing department, and cannot be copied. Regarding the shirts, we appreciate the thought, however, we are not allowed to accept gifts from outside sources.

We consider you a valued consumer and hope you will continue to enjoy snacks from Frito-Lay.

Best regards,

Kim
Frito-Lay Consumer Relations
011420420A
______________________________________________________

Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:54 PM

Reference #011420420A

I understand.
Don't worry, I'll send them anonymously *wink* If you can't keep them at least give them to people down with the cause *wink*

Thanks,
Jon
_____________________________________________________

A Message from Frito-Lay Consumer Relations - RE: one of our products, Reference #011420595A
Friday, April 1, 2011 7:15 AM
From: "noreply@fritolay.com"
To: castillo_jon@yahoo.com


Hi Jon,

I appreciate you wanting to send us the shirts, but please don't. It would get me in trouble as our emails are monitored.

Have a great weekend,

Kim
Frito-Lay Consumer Relations
011420595A
_____________________________________________________

This is the shirt I'm sending out on Monday to Frito-Lay, PO Box 660634, Dallas, TX 75266-0634 (I'll get one printed for you for 5.99, let me know):

5 comments:

  1. Bravo.

    First of all, I had no idea Tapatio-flavored Doritos existed. Tapatio=Awesome. Doritos=Awesome. Tapatio+Doritos=Awesomer.

    Second of all, Frito-Lay is silly for not taking you up on your offer of Bansky-ing via promotional tees and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're amazing, happy hunting, once you get them you'll be hooked.

    I know, right?!?! I still think I'm going to make real shirts real soon.

    Much appreciated for the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love readin' these posts! LOL'd at the "it'd be like keeping Jack Kerouac off the road"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn Spank...This is the best read I've had since dharma-hotdog-bums! Your Banksy threat won't scare Frito, he already works for abercrombie & fitch.
    SPANKER

    ReplyDelete